A Small Business - Top Tips
and where to start marketing a small business? The success of a small business
depends largely on how well it is marketed and how quickly it gets into the
not a very easy task with budgetary constraints and having to be cautious about
using free or cheap marketing tools, but ones that are the most effective.
Nonetheless small businesses do succeed.
Some of the differences between small and business marketing
procedures, practices and tools are listed below:
- Small and big businesses vary in budgetary allocations for
marketing- Small businesses have very little money to spare for marketing. Big
businesses on the other hand, have a large marketing budget and can use the
most expensive tools and thus show results.
- Small and big businesses differ in scope and their brand building
activities. While big businesses build brands and market them extravagantly,
small businesses struggle in selling the concept and brand building, if any, is
low key. The large sales field open to big businesses is miniscule
comparatively for small businesses.
- Both face a different set of risk factors and this has a bearing
on the opportunity areas open to each. Small businesses are generally in no
position to take risks and this places limits on the opportunities open to
- Strategies of marketing a small business differ as well. While big
businesses can launch new variants of products, expand their distribution
network and so on, small businesses lack the resources or expertise to do so.
- Competition puts the fear of survival in a small business while
big ones can face it head on, at any cost. Small businesses function by keeping
a close watch on competitors and their activities.
- Small businesses have less time and need to be more focused and
targeted, highly cost effective and pursue carefully planned marketing
initiatives. Big businesses have room for deviations from this path, without it
affecting the success of marketing endeavors.
Open To Small Businesses
However, these differences cannot act as deterrents for small
businesses. Some solutions open to them include:
- The small businesses - should put aside at least 10% of a total gross sales just for
- Continue marketing unfazed - irrespective of the barriers and limitations faced the small
business must continue its marketing initiatives in an unfazed manner.
- Use market sharing activities with other vendors and associates to cut costs by splitting
- Gain free publicity through
media networking - this
helps to remain visible.
- Become an expert by joining forums, offering advice and writing articles, so that
your small business has a better image.
- Keep tabs on results of marketing initiatives and drop those that do not
yield positive outcomes. Keep alternative marketing tools ready and waste no
time in replacing new ones for useless ones.
- Be fast, get into your
market place - always
on the look out for new products and services.
- Look at big businesses in
products and services to see
how you can improve in quality, prices, services in a better way.
The world is a huge marketplace and there is room for survival for both
big and small businesses. Each needs to use its own skill sets to achieve
success through marketing initiatives.
Need advice on
marketing a small business? Contact me today!
Learn more about
small business marketing here.
"Marketing A Small Business - Top Tips" to "Small Business
Consultant - Turn Your Nightmare Into A Dream Again At Low Or NO Cost"